June 16, 2012

Big Queer Convo

Last night transpeople and their allies gathered at the Hollywood GLBT center for the beginning of  LA TransPride. We made our migration to benefit from the nights edutainment, a "Big Queer Convo" between Mara Keisling, the founder of the National Center For Transgender Equality  and author/theorist/reformed scientologist Kate Bornstein. They spoke on the communities triumphs and missteps, on racism and murder, on the joys of transition and the evolution of our language. It was enlightening, I have a couple pages of notes and quotes from the event, I feel inspired, lucky to have been a part of this, i'll be sharing what I learn through future writings as many of the ideas have stuck with me.


Over the last year I've realized that I don't know everything, I think its part of growing up and seeing all sorts of different experiences. Deciding to take some time to listen as opposed to speak has been beneficial, something about its better to better to be considered a silent fool than to speak and remove all doubt. Now I hardly consider myself a fool, but theres still some stuff this girl could learn, this is the big leagues of transgender empowerment and I am preparing myself for when it will be my time to speak.


The wonderful Kate Bornstein signed my boobs, Mara Keisling was engaging and strong, Chaz Bono came as a show of support, last night WeHo was a hotbed for trans activity and it was delightful. Mainstream "Pride" has become a rainbow colored beer advertisement for gay men, a big limp stereotype dangling in your face, its not even remotely how I show pride for my community/identity. We showed our pride last night by learning how to best serve our community, not by getting drunk in the streets... that's how I express depression, not pride.

I'll be volunteering most of today during the workshops, catching the TransPride Film Festival and the after-party tonight, excited to be meeting movers and shakers in the Trans* community. Life is good, more stuff soon about crinkles and cuddles, for now this little girl is playing grownup artist in-support of activists, things are starting to get exciting here in LA <3 I made progress this morning on a film idea, i've been meditating on it for months but just sat down and started writing. I feel genuinely inspired and it feels good.

Thanks for reading, more stuff soon <3

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the LA TransPride Fest was great! I was at Denver's Pride Fest on Saturday.

    I was more on the parties and rainbows side. I love seeing dressed-up people. And Denver's Comic-Con was the same weekend. I was, like, in heaven, with all the dress-up Downtown!

    I really like hearing your ideas. You're such a smart baby. I can't wait to hear more of what you learned.

    I'm also happy to hear you've been working out a film idea! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Don't confront me with my failures, I have not forgotten them