May 14, 2012

degauss

I felt the need to share some thoughts on my last few hours in Vegas, I had a great time and i'm now back in LA, though I wrote much of this on the bus ride home. Next post I'll have a little story of my diapered adventures and soon after that I'll read a story that reinforces some thoughts shared here. I'm excited, so happy to be back home to my Attends and my cuddle bear, life is good <3

Now in this post, I intend to send a message to the entire brain, not just the neurons that fire when you think of crinkly teddy bear snuggles. Ready for it?

You can find friendly people EVERYWHERE

Walking down the  "Fremont Experience" I saw a ton of people that I likely wouldn't want to have a conversation with. It occurred to me that people goto Vegas to be that Vegas guy/girl, to soak themselves with cologne and drink an 88oz Daiquiri out of a plastic guitar, to get out those 9inch heels and that Ed Hardy shirt and pretend you're a high-roller. This whole town looks like you degaussed an old CRT. I'm not as impressed by the grandness, it's all terribly ornamental, like a brittle withering Christmas tree still wrapped in lights. I left Vegas with nothing but positive feelings, honestly, keep reading. 

Going off the beaten track has often lead to positivity in my life, sometimes you find El Dorado and sometimes you find someone waiting for you in an alley with a chain. After leaving the Piano bar i found myself walking past the "worlds largest pint glass", which doesn't make sense, like saying the worlds heaviest pound, but Vegas throws logic into the wind. A man with a guitar sang these lyrics ---
-
Lounging around the house chillin in my Snuggie
Turn on MTV so they can teach me how to Dougie
-
I smiled but at this moment I found a strong urge to leave the LED covered overhang of Fremont, I saw a collectible toy shop (still open at 11:30pm) with a Dig Dug machine that ate my quarter. There was a sign that said "Drink & Drag" in a mostly closed mall. I asked the store dude if it was Drink and Drag ::made a car driving motion with my hands:: or Drink and Draggggg ::did a little beauty queen pose:: they laughed, told me it was the latter.

The place had just opened last week, a bar/bowling alley/night club where all the employees were in drag, there was a Rhianna and a Amy Winehouse that would perform to their respective song, lots of dancing stripper guys in little undies, it was the Vegas I was looking for. Not a big fan of drag, but you can usually find a few transpeople amongst the queens, and I did. Not that I can only hangout with transpeople, i'm just more likely to see people I know.

I met this awesome couple, college type guy and eloquent young transwoman, we shared stories and cheered bottles of Pabst, they were excited to meet someone without "an agenda", though i'm not sure exactly what that means. About 15 minutes in the "OMG you're trans!" conversation started, It made me smile and blush, they were excited, I was flattered, good times all around. I've had occasions where gay/tranny venues have asked me if I was at the right place, which I find as pretty backwards discrimination, rude, like cis/straight people aren't allowed. Could you imagine going to a straight bar and having them say "I don't think you'd belong here"? Thems fightin' words.

They invited me home, I politely declined and we went our separate ways. It's now 3am, walking down the once bustling Fremont towards the bus station, the families have gone to bed and the drunks were out in full-force. Never did I feel unsafe as Vegas is designed for the 24 hour lifestyle, I got on the greyhound and headed home. Getting to LA in the harsh light of day, I showered off the filth, met with a friend and went to an afternoon ageplay event at a local dungeon, then finally got some sleep. I digress, back to the point.

You may look around and find yourself surrounded by people you don't relate to, folks who make decisions and take actions that you're not into, but don't let that discourage you. Society often shuns/compartmentalizes those who are outside the mainstream, fear would be one cause of that. You'll find the innovators are off the main strip, in the nooks and crannies of this big English muffin we call life. There are no bad people, but there is greed, ignorance, posturing, negativity... these are symptoms that can be cured with love, kindness and understanding. Some people fit in and are kind and awesome, some aren't, some people learn and change, some never get the chance. You may call them "douchebags" but it's not vinegar and water that flows in their veins, its the same thing as you and I.

Vegas has been the backdrop for a simple lesson, don't judge a book by its cover, and you never know when you're going to come across something wonderful and new. More stuff soon, love, love, love and this little girl needs to sink her feet into the sand, my wanderin' days are over (for now) <3

 

5 comments:

  1. Hey there Riley my I say how fantastic you look bright colours suit you,thanks for that little insight into your trip it was like peeping through a window into your world do you not be scared in those big cities?do you go on your own I would hate it if anything ever happened to you it's great to have you back again,did you ever use Tiger stepins plastic pants I came across them while searchtng the net for something else and I was wondering what they were like-hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say, this was awesome to hear! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, and the outfit in those pictures is very cute!

    Keep us posted!

    - ShiningFire

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look too young to be in Vegas!
    Still Adorable as ever. XO's Kari

    ReplyDelete

Don't confront me with my failures, I have not forgotten them